- 12 Jumbo shrimp, peeled & deveined (16/20 or 21/25 count)
- 3 Pieces fresh ripe plum/roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cut into fine dice
- 1 large shallot, peeled and fine diced
- 1 Garlic clove, peeled and fine chopped
- 1 Tbsp. capers, drained
- 1 Fresh fennel stalk, fine diced, reserve fronds for garnish
- ½ Cup dry white wine
- 1 Tbsp. Pernod
- 1 Lemon for zest
- 2 Tsp. lemon juice (juice of from ½ lemon)
- 2 Tbsp. blended olive oil (50/50 olive oil – vegetable oil)
- 1 Bunch fresh basil, small leaves reserved whole for garnish. Fine chop all others
- ½ Bunch fresh tarragon, leaves picked and reserved
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil – first cold pressed, very fine quality (EVOO)
- Kosher salt to taste to season before and during cooking
- Black pepper from mill Fleur de sel to taste for finishing seasoning
- Heat Forno Piombo to 750F.
- Place grill over hot coals.
- Place a medium cast iron sauté pan in the oven to heat to high.
- In a medium bowl, toss the shrimp with 1 tbsp. of blended olive oil, ½ of the chopped basil, kosher salt and black pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In the hot cast iron pan, add ½ the blended olive oil, shallots, garlic and fennel. Sauté for two to three minutes until light golden brown and translucent. Add the fine-diced tomatoes and place back in the forno for one to two minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven add the Pernod and flambé. Add the white wine and place the pan in the forno and reduce to almost dry.
- Remove pan from forno, stir in 1 tsp. lemon juice, zest from ½ lemon, capers, 1 tbsp. of the extra virgin olive oil and ½ of the chopped basil. Season to taste with kosher salt and black pepper. Reserve and keep warm.
- Place the shrimp on the grill over the hot coals. Cook for approx. two to three min. or until desired doneness is achieved. Do not over cook.
- Divide the tomato mixture between four plates. Place three shrimp on each plate. Garnish with fennel fronds, basil leaves & tarragon leaves. Drizzle with the 1 tsp. lemon juice, zest from ½ lemon and ½ of the EVOO. Season with Fleur de sel and black pepper. Serve.